Friday 10 January 2020

Books of 2019

Hi and thanks for stopping by.

I know it’s been a ridiculously long time since I’ve posted here but in total honesty, life has been so manic and wonderful and overwhelming that I just haven’t had the spare time or energy for blogging!! Actually, I’ve barely been reading either, which is so weird for me. Anyway, I thought I’d get back to things with a post talking about my favourite books of 2019.



Jeff Zentner’s Rayne and Delilah’s Midnight Matinee


I just completely adored this book. Firstly, I think the writing of two young, female protagonists by a male author was done EXCEPTIONALLY well. The sense of humour is absolutely brilliant, and definitely my favourite part - the text conversations and brilliant rapport felt so natural and easy and hilarious to read. The romance element was perfectly written. In fantastic contrast, there were moments in here so sad that they made me cry.


Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine


The only Adult book in my top 5 this year; one of my best friends chose this book for our little book club in the spring and I completely fell in love with it. As good as allllllllll of the hype. How can one book be so painfully sad and yet so funny all at once? I read Eleanor’s story in one sitting; smiled and ached and laughed and cried a little bit. Such a special book.



Robin Benway’s Far From the Tree



    The most beautiful book of the year. Incredibly emotive and raw, Far From the Tree is a story about family, sibling relationships, adoption, parental relationships and identity. Particularly great if you're looking for some wonderful contemporary YA that isn't romance-focused.


Emma Mills’s Foolish Hearts


This book has one of the funniest characters I've ever read, in the form of Iris - and watching her become friends with Claudia slowly but surely throughout made me so happy. Full of interesting themes like private school, boy bands and online gaming. Gideon is a brilliant romantic interest; sweet and funny and charming (and reminiscent of Levi from Fangirl in the best way).



1. Emma Mills’s This Adventure Ends


    My favourite book of the year by far. The sarcastic protagonist, the slow-burning romance, the beautiful friendships formed; all of this makes for the best YA contemporary (and YA in general (and book in general)) I read this year. Emma Mills has a new release due at the start of 2020, and I’m hoping it’ll pull me out of my big big reading slump (p.s. have you seen the amazing new cover art she has? Makes me want to donate all of my copies and buy the new ones!)

Those were my top 5 books of the year - what were yours?

Till next time

Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment