Sunday 29 October 2017

A TBR: November 2017

Hi, and thanks for stopping by.

This is my November TBR! As I did last month, the first three books in this TBR are chosen from an old haul on my blog that I still haven't gotten around to yet!! (I better explain this idea in last month's post here.) I'm also aiming to be more realistic with my TBRs, so I'm only choosing six here that I absolutely want to get to. I'm probably going to read over 10 by the end of the month, realistically.
Let's get started!!!

Lionel shriver’s we need to talk about kevin

Eva never really wanted to be a mother; certainly not the mother of the unlovable boy who murdered seven of his fellow high school students, a cafeteria worker and a teacher who tried to befriend him. Now, two years later, it is time for her to come to terms with marriage, career, family, parenthood and Kevin's horrific rampage in a series of startlingly direct correspondences with her absent husband, Franklyn.

[This is actually really convenient for me, because this is a book I've been really meaning to read ASAP as I think it may end up being helpful for my dissertation - I'm interested in the perspectives of family members when somebody they are related to does something despicable, as I write from the perspective of a rapist's younger sister.]

Rosie rushton’s summer of secrets

Caitlin Morland has always craved excitement and been well aware that she wasn't going to find it with her boring family. When she wins an art scholarship to the famous Mulberry Court College, she is delighted to find herself embraced with open arms by Queen Bee, Izzy Thorpe, daughter of a prominent politician and her mates, Bianca Jarvis and Summer Tilney. And then there is an invitation to go on holiday with Izzy's family and that is when everything, thanks to Caitlin's over active imagination, starts to go horribly pear shaped. 

[I read one of these Rosie Rushton books before from the library - they're modern day, Austen re-tellings. I remember the other one being fun and easy to read, so this should be some light relief, I hope, after the Shriver.]

Ally carter’s heist society
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie travelled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own - scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. But now her dad's life is on the line, and Kat must go back to the world she tried so hard to escape...

[This is one of those books that I've heard some great things about and picked up purely on a whim because I saw it second-hand at an absolute bargain price...it's definitely not something I would have bought full price, or actively sought out, and I don't know that it's really going to be my cup of tea...but I guess I'm going to find out for sure this month!!]



Jodi picoult’s the tenth circle

Trixie Stone only goes to the party that night to get her boyfriend back. By morning, Trixie is under police protection and Jason, her ex, has been arrested on suspicion of date rape. There are no witnesses. The physical evidence is inconclusive. It is her word against his. Who is telling the truth?

[I read Jodi Picoult's Salem Falls in October and really loved it, so I'm interested to read her other novel focusing on a rape accusation. I'm writing my dissertation on the topic of rape and rape culture, so it fits in with that, too. I love Jodi's writing, so I can't wait to get around to this one.]

Amy reed’s the nowhere girls

Who are the Nowhere Girls? They’re everygirl. But they start with just three: Grace Salter is the new girl in town,  Rosina Suarez is the queer punk girl in a conservative Mexican immigrant family, Erin Delillo is obsessed with two things: marine biology and Star Trek: The Next Generation.
When Grace learns that Lucy Moynihan, the former occupant of her new home, was run out of town for having accused the popular guys at school of gang rape, she’s incensed that Lucy never had justice. For their own personal reasons, Rosina and Erin feel equally deeply about Lucy’s tragedy, so they form an anonymous group of girls at Prescott High to resist the sexist culture at their school, which includes boycotting sex of any kind with the male students.

[This book sounds like it has the potential to be really sensational. I cannot wait to read this. I also want to give a special mention to an incredible review of it, written by the lovely Zoe, which can be found here.]

Victoria aveyard’s king’s cage

Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of a boy she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, Maven Calore continues weaving his dead mother's web in an attempt to maintain control over his country—and his prisoner. As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-ragtag band of newbloods and Reds continue organizing, training, and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own claim on Mare's heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back.

[I read Red Queen and Glass Sword in the last few weeks and I thoroughly enjoyed them both, which I wasn't expecting considering how many crappy reviews I'd read/seen. I can't wait to get to this third instalment! I really helps that I'm reading them so close together, I think, so I don't want to lose my stride by waiting any longer!]


So these are the books that I absolutely must read this month, particularly those first three, as I've had them on my bookshelves since July!!! Be sure to check back in at the end of November to hear what I thought of these books and which ones I'm setting aside for December! I'd love to know what you thought of any of these, if you've read them, and what you're planning to read in November - please leave a comment down below, I'd love to hear from you!!


Till next time

Katie






2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these 🙈, though I am looking forward to the Nowhere Girls. Your dissertation sounds so interesting btw. I don't eally set monthly TBRs as I am AWFUL at sticking to them, but I havea bunch of library books I'd like to get to.
    Amy xx
    www.goldenbooksgirl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Thank you - it's seriously stressful to right, but hopefully it ends up being something I'm proud of. That's why I'm keeping it to six books, because I'm so bad at it too! Ooo, interested to hear what you think of those, lovely. Thanks for commenting xx

    ReplyDelete