Wednesday 17 July 2019

A Wrap Up: July 2019 Part One

Hi, and thanks for stopping by.

Here's the little collection of books I read during the end of June and start of July - I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of the ones you've read, or about something else you've been reading so far this summer.

Jodi Picoult’s A Spark of Light
4 STARS

Whenever I read Jodi Picoult's writing, I'm always in awe of how she constructs such complex narratives so naturally, with seemingly so much ease. This novel feels so timely, in terms of what's happening all across the world (though especially in the US) regarding abortion and it felt really powerful and emotive to read, especially because we got to follow so many different perspectives of people with so many different thoughts and feelings.

Kiera Cass’s The Heir
3 STARS

I enjoyed The Selection trilogy so much that I was sure I'd love the following two books also; sadly that wasn't really the case. Not only is our protagonist kind of really annoying (although I think that's somewhat purposeful, to have her be somewhat redeemed and humbled by the experience?? I don't know) but the entire novel just felt like playing on the "selection" plotline for the sake of another two books, to be honest.

Kim Savage’s Beautiful Broken Girls
3.5 STARS

Definitely one of the weirder books I've read. The sense of mystery unravelling in Mira's chapters was really well done, especially as we follow Ben spiralling in the wrong directions simultaneously; that made for a really effective reading experience. There were some good little twists in here but overall the mystery behind the suicide itself went a little over my head.

Leila Sales’s If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say
3.5-4 STARS...I Think 

This is a really hard book to rate or even talk about, really. I appreciate what it's trying to do; I appreciate that it's shining a light on internet culture and cyber bullying and trolling and the impact the digital world/media can have on real life. I appreciate the fact that the protagonist is unliveable, and that the story challenges you and your beliefs. I do have to wonder ultimately what the message the book is trying to portray is though... thoughts on this one??

Brigid Kemmerer’s Call It What You Want
5 STARS

Such a beautiful contemporary novel from one of my favourite YA authors. I loved both of our protagonists and their romance; that's a given, because Brigid can't possibly write a bad contemporary YA romance it would seem. However, what I loved even more than that were some of the complex fringe relationships; particularly between Maegan and her sister and Rob and his ex-best-friend.

Brendan Kiely’s Tradition
3.5 STARS

It's been such a long time since I've read any YA (or otherwise) about rape culture - I was saturated in the genre last summer whilst writing my dissertation on the topic. It felt haunting and sad to be back reading it again, but powerful too. Another good book that did another good job of highlighting classicism, male privilege, rape culture and how "tradition" is used to excuse disgusting behaviour. I hope authors just keep on writing these stories.

Don't forget to leave a comment down below if you have anything to add!!

Till next time

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment