Saturday 13 October 2018

An Unhaul: October 2018

Hi, and thanks for stopping by.

Today's post is another unhaul of books that I think somebody else would enjoy having on their shelves far more than me. I personally choose to donate all of my unwanted books to charity shops, because I'm a huge supporter of buying books from them, too! Let me know what you do with your unwanted books and how many you're donating this autumn!! On with the destash...


Dreamology by Lucy Keating is the most recently-read book in this stack and I'm genuinely really sad to be parting with it (half because it's got such a pretty colour, but I'm trying to be less superficial when it comes to keeping books!!). It has such a cool premise (the boy of her literal dreams showing up at her new school) but the execution just didn't work for me.

Two Summers by Aimee Friedman is a book I read right when I was getting back into YA fiction, but I didn't enjoy it much. Again, it has a cool concept at its core with some cool settings but I just felt it was a little predictable and undeveloped in places. I think someone else will probably love it.

The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson is kind of a weird one - it's adult fiction, but I don't know what genre to fit it into...domestic thriller, thriller, dark contemporary?! Whilst I felt like it was well-written, it really lacked that page-turning quality that a fantastic thriller ultimately needs.

Sweetfreak by Sophie McKenzie is a novel that left me feeling completely cold. It opens up conversation topics such as bullying and trolling, but doesn't develop far enough to take a real stance. The female friendship felt really underdeveloped to me, so you feel no emotional investment, meaning that when it falls apart, you just don't really care (or, at least, I didn't!).

The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles is another fairly recent read and I also recently watched the Netflix film. I do not consider myself to be a snobby reader AT ALL (in fact, I loathe literary snobbiness) but I really felt like this writing was lacking & in desperate need of far more thorough editing. Also, Noah Flynn is supposed to be this charming, attractive "bad boy" figure, but he just came across as a total idiot to me?!



So those are the books I am unhauling and donating to charity this month!! I hope you enjoyed reading.

Till next time

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment