Wednesday 13 December 2017

Blogmas Day 7: Books I MUST Get To In 2018!

Hi, and thanks for stopping by.

Today's post is a way of telling myself off, essentially. These are five books that I bought this year that I can't believe I haven't gotten around to yet, and absolutely MUST get to in 2018. Hope you enjoy reading - please do let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought of them, by leaving a comment down below!!

Cassandra clare’s the mortal instruments – city of bones


I bought this book months and months ago and really thought I'd want to read it straight away, particularly because I had just read and really enjoyed Cassandra Clare's Lady Midnight. I guess for me this fits into a certain pattern with not only fantasy books but also books that are part of a series; I tend to really put off reading books like that, because they just require sooo much more commitment than a nice standalone contemporary YA, in my opinion. Anyway, I've heard pretty much only awesome things about this book series, so I absolutely must read some of them this year.

Maggie stiefvater’s linger – the wolves of mercy falls


This series is a very similar story to the one above. I read the first book in this series, Shiver, a couple of years ago, after getting it out from my local library. But because I didn't own any of them myself, I never got around to finishing the series. Then, this summer, I found the first three in a charity shop (haven't come across Sinner), in really great condition, so I picked them all up. I really enjoyed the first book, so I think I'll probably enjoy the series. I'm not sure if I'll need to reread Shiver or whether I'll be fine to start with Linger. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Lewis carroll’s alice’s adventures in wonderland & through the looking-glass


I can't believe I've never read this book before!! I really love Alice in Wonderland as a story, but I don't know it particularly well, most likely because I've never read it!! What makes me want to read it even more is this glorious copy that I managed to pick up in TK Maxx earlier this year; I have my three favourite classics of all time (Little Women, Wuthering Heights & Rebecca) in these cloth-bound additions from Waterstones and they are absolutely stunning. I'm hoping to collect a lot of them over time - my next goal is Jane Eyre!!

Jojo moyes’s the girl you left behind


I think this is the only Jojo Moyes book I have left to read - contemporary-wise, as historical doesn't really interest me - (although I know she is publishing a third book in the Me Before You series - cannot wait for that!!!) and I'm really surprised I didn't get around to it in 2017, as this was definitely the year that I not only discovered her writing but also totally fell in love with it. I read a little about these characters in the collection of short stories by Jojo Moyes, called Paris For One and Other Stories, but I think I avoided their actual story because half of it is set fairly far back in history, and as mentioned above, historical fiction doesn't massively interest me. But Jojo Moyes's writing is so beautiful, that I'm bound to love this regardless.

A change is gonna come – an anthology


This is an anthology of stories written by a collection of British BAME (black, Asian & minority ethnic) writers and I honestly cannot believe I didn't get around to this in 2017! In fairness, I only bought it in the last few months, but I was so excited to get to it, because it's such a necessary and exciting leap forward in British YA writing. I also love reading anthologies - they're so easy to get through and it's exciting not only to discover new characters and places but new writers, too. Hopefully I'll get to this one as soon as January. 


So there you have it!! Those are the books that I must get to in 2018, hopefully even in the first month or two. In a few days time, I'll be posting my official January 2018 TBR, so look out for potentially one or two of these on there! Thanks for reading - hope you enjoyed!!

Till next time

Katie






6 comments:

  1. Big thumbs up for City of Bones! I enjoyed that series *so much.* Yeah, it's a commitment to start a six book series, but so worth it because the books just draw you right in to the story. The Alice in Wonderland book... meh. I realized a few years ago that I hadn't read it so I decided to change that. I just wasn't impressed. Maybe I'm too old for it. LOL I practically squealed when I saw The Girl You Left Behind. Love that one! It's my favorite by Moyes. I don't think you really have to be a fan of historical fiction to enjoy it since it's a dual time period story. I vote for putting that one at the top of your list. :)
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recommendation is my final push to go for it then!! Ah, that's really interesting! I wonder if it's because it is such a strange story? Oh good that's a real relief - I love her writing style so much!! I'll try to get to it in January in that case! Thank you for such a lovely comment! X

      Delete
  2. I need to get to A Change is Gonna Come too! I've had it since August though 🙊🙈
    Amy xx
    www.goldenbooksgirl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird how long you can leave a book, even though you're really excited about it! Maybe we should buddy read it together in the new year! Xx

      Delete
  3. I still really need to read Alice as well. I've seen so many movies and read retellings yet I still have to read the actual book haha.

    ReplyDelete